Tonight’s the night for the start of Vermilion’s Fish Festival so get ready. Tonight, June 16th, the Fish Festival committee will presenting the annual FIREWORKS kickoff! This exciting event will take place right off of Vermilion’s own breakwall at the entrance to the harbor.
(pic above by Scott Dommin courtesy of the Vermilion Chamber of Commerce, Fish Festival times and events here.)
Due to safety, and the fact it will be held at the mouth of the Vermilion River there are some issues that all boaters should be aware of. The details below were provided by the Festival of the Fish committee and the Vermilion Chamber of Commerce:
- Due to the safety of this event we are asking spectators and boaters to take a look at the map (below) of the area and please be aware of our safety zones that will be set in place.
- The west entrance to the Vermilion River will not be accessible once the fireworks are placed on the break wall. We are asking that boaters use the east entrance to navigate both in and out of the Vermilion River .
- There will be complete river closure starting at 9:30pm until 11pm.
- The fireworks display is set to begin at 10:00pm.
- There will be five to six temporary buoys set up 500’ around the detached break wall and boaters are permitted to watch the fireworks show on the north side of these buoys.
- Both attached piers the one by Main Street Beach and the other by the lagoons beach will be off limits to spectators.
- The fireworks display will be visible by personal boat on the Lake, Main Street Beach and Festival area.
- Thank you in advance for understanding as we understand there maybe a few inconveniences.
(pic below just a generalized example for entertainment purposes).
So get ready to get a real bang out of your summer!
Your weekend forecast (NWS):
Southwest winds 5 to 10 knots becoming west. A slight
chance of showers and thunderstorms late. Waves 1 foot or less.
Southwest winds 10 knots or less becoming south.
Mostly cloudy. Waves 1 foot or less.
South winds 5 to 10 knots becoming southwest. A
chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Waves
1 foot or less.
South winds 5 to 15 knots. A chance of showers
and thunderstorms in the evening…then showers and thunderstorms
likely overnight. Waves 2 feet or less.
South winds 15 to 20 knots becoming west 10 to
15 knots. Showers and thunderstorms during the day…then a
chance of showers and thunderstorms Sunday night. Waves 1 to